Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Prehistory

OK, so it's been a very long time sense I've posted. No excuses, but this does mean I need to give some folks a little update. So in this post I'll attempt to overview of how I ended up hanging out in the Philippines.

In August my position at Microsoft was terminated. It was inevitable that most aspects of my position would be offshored, I had seen the 'writing on the wall' and was not at all surprised that it happened. That's not to say it was not a strange and surreal experience! It was the right move for Microsoft, and I hope that it has been as good for my peers as it has for me.

At the time I was 9 months into the Peace Corps application/placement process. Knowing that I would probably be leaving soon anyway I chose to leave Microsoft. It seems so normal now, but changing to a post Microsoft/job life was a big adjustment for me. I miss the challenges, comrade, the can-do camaraderie, the fast pace, and most of all the people who made all that happen. I know that every place in my carrier will be measured against my experience at Microsoft.

I considered many possible moves at the time: moving back to Alaska, disappearing into the woods for extended periods of time, taking another position, and leaving for the Peace Corps sooner. After speaking to my Peace Corps placement officer I chose to keep things as simple and free as possible. I'll probably be starting my assignment with the Peace Corps in May of next year, which leaves me with a nice little chunk of time to have some fun.

Davie and Kellie asked me come spend some time with them in the Philippines, and after considering all the implications I jumped at the opportunity. They were a bit surprised when I told them I'd made plans to come for about six months, but I think (and hope) that they were also happy. ;-) It took me quite a bit of time to get everything sorted out. Because I did not know exactly what would/will be coming down the pike I chose to pack it all in. Most of my worldly possessions are now packed into 8 tubs and stored at Aunt Katie's house in Winthrop. I no longer have a bed, car or even a lamp. Wow, that's wild.

So I flew to Manila five days ago, arriving after 23 hours of airplanes and airports. So far I love it.

Right now I'm going to check out the gym in Kellie's building... we may get a membership so that she and I can work out after she gets off of work.

More later,
Toby

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home