Bundok
The word boondocks (see http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=boondocks) became a part of the American lexicon after GIs returned from the Philippines post WWII. In most Filipino languages bundok means ‘mountain,’ and in the Philippines there are many mountains. In Alaska boondocking means to go to uncharted country; trekking off to where nobody else goes. Portions of the Philippines, I have been told, have yet to be mapped properly… they are the domain of the jungle; monkeys are still kings in some places. Some of the islands are so rough that tribes on opposite sides of the islands speak different languages that are incomprehensible to the other tribe.
I wish that I could write to you about some true boondocking, but I am truly not ready for that. Perhaps after I’ve got some Tagalog under my belt, and don’t feel like a fish out of water when out and about in the Philippines I’ll go off for some rural Philippines experience. For now my trip from Boracay to Cebu City will need to suffice.
I took a pump boat from Boracay to Caticlan and jumped on a bus to Iloilo. This six hour bus ride cost me just over $6, it was one of the best investments I’ve made while in the Philippines. The grossly underpowered bus chugged along gorgeous beaches, rocky cliffs, jungle and terraced rice paddies. Green everywhere!
The trip was like a venture into many of the movies depicting Vietnam. Most of the movies regarding the Vietnam War are filmed in the Philippines, a fact which Filipinos are quite proud of. Scenes of rice terraced carved out of the bamboo, palm and vine jungle from movies seemed to be displayed before my eyes. The only thing missing was the big beige hats on the bent workers in the patties; Filipinos wear old shirts over their head.
I had thoughts of staying the night in Iloilo along the way, but as soon as I was there I knew I wanted to move on. I arrived in Iloilo at 4:30 and was on the over night ferry to Cebu by 6. The ferry was not entirely uneventful: I got a massage onboard. At the end of the message the woman asked me if I’d like a ‘happy ending.’ I looked at her, apparently my confusion was evident… she grabbed my nethers and shook them. “You want?” She shook her head, my eyes grew large and I shook mine – the opposite direction she was shaking hers.
I arrived in Cebu the next morning rested and knowing which way to shake my head after a new question.
Rice patties along the road:
I wish that I could write to you about some true boondocking, but I am truly not ready for that. Perhaps after I’ve got some Tagalog under my belt, and don’t feel like a fish out of water when out and about in the Philippines I’ll go off for some rural Philippines experience. For now my trip from Boracay to Cebu City will need to suffice.
I took a pump boat from Boracay to Caticlan and jumped on a bus to Iloilo. This six hour bus ride cost me just over $6, it was one of the best investments I’ve made while in the Philippines. The grossly underpowered bus chugged along gorgeous beaches, rocky cliffs, jungle and terraced rice paddies. Green everywhere!
The trip was like a venture into many of the movies depicting Vietnam. Most of the movies regarding the Vietnam War are filmed in the Philippines, a fact which Filipinos are quite proud of. Scenes of rice terraced carved out of the bamboo, palm and vine jungle from movies seemed to be displayed before my eyes. The only thing missing was the big beige hats on the bent workers in the patties; Filipinos wear old shirts over their head.
I had thoughts of staying the night in Iloilo along the way, but as soon as I was there I knew I wanted to move on. I arrived in Iloilo at 4:30 and was on the over night ferry to Cebu by 6. The ferry was not entirely uneventful: I got a massage onboard. At the end of the message the woman asked me if I’d like a ‘happy ending.’ I looked at her, apparently my confusion was evident… she grabbed my nethers and shook them. “You want?” She shook her head, my eyes grew large and I shook mine – the opposite direction she was shaking hers.
I arrived in Cebu the next morning rested and knowing which way to shake my head after a new question.
Rice patties along the road:

2 Comments:
Loving the stories, man, keep 'em coming.
It says a lot about your innocence that you didn't know what a "happy ending" is. :) Not well to your writing ability that you wrote you got a "message" while on board instead of a "massage".
Matt!
So glad that you are enjoying the stories.
Yea, I'm an innocent in many ways. I think I get that from my dad... he's in his 60s and still that way. I hope I’ll keep some of it as long as he has.
Every great author has an editor... are you offering your services? *grin*
Post a Comment
<< Home